Happy Saint Patrick's day everyone!!! I know I know, by the time the post comes out it'll be Monday and Saint Paddy's will have been a thing of the past. However, as I write this, it's Saturday morning and I'm making plans to make a Guiness chocolate cake and whip up a couple Irish coffees (if you missed that particular delight this weekend, grab one while you can!).
Side note, you can bet I'll have a Guiness chocolate cake recipe up on the blog next year, and it'll actually be in time for the holiday ????. I'm also blasting Galway Girl by Sharon Shannon and will definitely be watching The Boondocks Saints in the near future because obviously.
It's also become a tradition that the hubby runs the St. Paddy's Day Dash every year. At first, you'd think oh how healthy and fit! That might be true, but there are also beers at the finish line and some more bar hopping afterwards ????????.
Which brings me to the point at hand today. If you went out and about celebrating (as you should on this fabulous Irish holiday), you might be in need of a easy, yet nutritious breakfast. Ergo, may I introduce the quick cheesy savory dutch baby!
Last year I discovered the awesomeness that is the dutch baby. A perfectly puffed pancake whipped up in a blender and cooked in a hot, oven safe skillet. Best part? You can fill it with whatever you want! First time round, I did a classic sweeter take: a berry dutch baby topped with lemon juice, more butter, and a little powdered sugar.
However, sweeter breakfasts tend to be lighter and don't stick with you too long. Why not switch it up and try something that'll keep you good to go till lunch time? Thus, the savory dutch baby was born, and no savory breakfast is complete without cheese.
You may have noticed one of my favorite phrases is "cheesy goodness". I've also written several diatribes about my love of cheese. You know all those pinterest pins and instagram photos of melty cheese recipes? Ummm, that's my life. So it should be no surprise that this savory dutch baby has a delicious layer of mozzarella and cheddar cheese hidden underneath all those healthy tomatoes and slices of ham. Also, you can choose how much or how little you want! Totally up to you.
That goes for any of the filling ingredients. Follow the recipe up until you remove the cooked puffed pancake from heat and then you decide! I included all the ingredients I used for this particular savory dutch baby but you can choose whatever amounts you want. In fact, you can even nix my options and go crazy. Not in to tomatoes? Skip 'em! Dying for some bacon? Go ahead! A few slices of avocado wouldn't hurt either ????.
Mmmkay friends. There's a Guinness chocolate cake to bake and rueben sandwiches to eat, with a side of Irish coffee ☕️. Savory dutch baby recipe coming right up!Print
For the Dutch Baby
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste (optional - can easily substitute with vanilla extract)
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Pinch of dried basil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the Filling
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Ham slices, torn into bite size pieces
- Pesto (try some homemade kale pesto for a little more flavor!)
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Your choice of egg, as desired*
- Fresh sliced chives and roughly chopped parsley, to garnish
- Place a large, oven safe skillet in the oven and preheat to 425˚F.
- While pan is heating, blend eggs, flour, milk, salt, sugar, dried thyme, dried basil, and vanilla in a blender until smooth.
- Remove hot pan from the oven and add the butter, swirling the melting butter around to coat the pan.
- Pour batter into the pan and return to the oven. Cook for 20-25 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Top puffed pancake with shredded cheeses and ham immediately. Throw back in the oven for a couple minutes to warm up the ham and melt the cheese a little bit more.
- Remove and top with tomatoes, pesto, and an egg as desired. Garnish with fresh chives and parsley. Serve immediately.