You guys! I have a TREAT for you today!! We’re just gunna jump right in because I’m so excited. It’s time for….the easy peezy summer berry dutch baby!
First off. The dutch baby. AKA the puffed pancake. Hands down the EASIEST pancake ever. Blend all the ingredients in a blender and pour into a hot, buttered, oven safe skillet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, depending on your oven, until it reaches maximum poofiness. Remove, add all the fixin’s and eat right out of the skillet.
I was in shock. HOW had I not come across this?….Probably because I’m not a breakfast person…but now?? I just might be. They’re just. so. EASY!!! Seriously, a blender?! Best thing ever.
The dutch baby is also just so fun to look at. The perfect puffed up edges, and the deflated ridges in the center are perfect to sprinkle powdered sugar, lemon juice, and berries all over. Plus more butter because obviously. Really you can fill them with anything! Syrup? Check! Compote? Check! Even savory! Pesto, pancetta, all the cheese, so many combos I can’t even.
I also love any dish that gets baked in a skillet. I don’t know why really, it just looks so much cozier as opposed to a baking dish. Apparently I’m one of those people that gets sentimental about recipes .
Anyhoo. You HAVE to make this summer berry dutch baby. It’ll impress everyone you have over for brunch I promise. They’re SO FUN! This is just one of those recipes that when you bring out the finished product, it just makes you smile. Or at least I do. Like I said, sentimental ????.Print
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste (optional – can easily substitute with vanilla extract)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Assorted berries and cherries, lemon juice and lemon slices, and powdered sugar to fill and garnish
- Place a large, oven safe skillet in the oven and preheat to 425˚F.
- While pan is heating, blend eggs, flour, milk, salt, sugar, and vanilla in a blender until smooth.
- Remove hot pan from the oven and add the butter, swirling the melting butter around to coat the pan.
- Pour batter into the pan and return to the oven. Cook for 20-25 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Sift powdered sugar over the puffed pancake, add desired berries and quick squeeze of lemon juice. Cut wedges out of the skillet and serve immediately.