The new year is in full swing my friends. 2 weeks in, so far so good! Definitely been healthier in general and I have NOT ordered in. Not once. I've been leaning more towards meals like these delectable Healthy Brown Rice Stir Fry Bowls! I'm so proud of myself. Not gunna lie though, molten chocolate cake with ice cream from Hot Cakes in Ballard happened. Because obviously. Molten Chocolate Cake. If you can say no to that, I am BEYOND impressed.
Chocolate aside, these Healthy Brown Rice Stir Fry Bowls are packed with veggies, protein, and flavor; nutritious AND delicious! Combo of the year. I threw all my favorites into these puppies: spinach, carrots, bell pepper, and bok choy. Secret not so secret: I. Love. Bok choy. Especially baby bok choy. It's the crunch really, because they're a pretty mild vegetable. And the baby ones are just so snazzy looking atop a stir fry bowl.
To really showcase the veggies in these Healthy Brown Rice Stir Fry Bowls, I added some pretty basic seasoning (salt, pepper, ginger powder), and then drizzled them with toasted sesame oil and a few teaspoons of Chili Garlic Sauce. Yesssss spicyspice! Just a hint really but it adds some serious depth to a basic rice bowl.
Ok so pause on the recipe here. Struggles tangent: I'm in a serious "book-hole".
It's a problem. I'm at such a loss that I'm rereading the entire Harry Potter series for the 5 millionth time due to lack of anything else intriguing. Now I love Harry Potter, massive fan here, but I need something to really sink my teeth into, other than a tasty brown rice stir fry bowl 🙂
SO! If you all have any suggestions for me I'd be eternally grateful! I love fantasy/sci-fi, fave books include the bone season series, sarah addison allen books, lord of the rings, the Pendergast series, Sebastian St. Cyr, I don't even know the rest. I have a Goodreads page with maybe a quarter of my library if you fancy a look. I would really appreciate any suggestions you have! How about we swap this Healthy Brown Rice Stir Fry Bowls recipe for book ideas? Tradesies??? Awesome 🙂 Can't wait to start a new literary adventure!
OK so. Healthy Brown Rice Stir Fry Bowls recipe coming up in 3...2...Print
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 baby bok choy, halved
- 1 cup spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrot, shredded or matchstick
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper to garnish
- In a large saucepan, boil 4 cups of water. Add rice, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 40-45 minutes until water has dissipated and rice is tender. Alternatively, use a rice cooker.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet or wok, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add bok choy and 2 teaspoons water. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes until bok choy is tender and leaves are wilted. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Over medium-high heat add spinach, cabbage, bell pepper, carrots, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, and garlic powder and sauté for 4 minutes, until vegetables are softened and spinach is wilted, stirring frequently.
- Add bok choy back to pot and sauté for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add salt and black pepper to taste, cover and remove pan from heat.
- Over medium-high heat, grease a nonstick skillet. Crack eggs one at a time on the side of the pan and slip into the pan.
- Immediately turn the heat to low, cook the eggs for 2-3 minutes until whites are set. Gently flip each egg over and cook 1-2 more minutes or until desired doneness. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the bowls: Fill bowls halfway with rice. Top with stir fried veggies. Gently place fried egg on top, and garnish with ground black pepper and chili flakes. Serve immediately.