It's almost game day time!!! As I'm sure you're well aware by now, I'm not the biggest sports person.
Whenever I watch any form of a game, I'm one of those "Go team! Win the points! Do the thing (what is happening??)!" people. But who can deny the excellence of game day food? My contribution for the super bowl this year: BBQ chicken sliders!
So you might be having a little déjà vu with these sliders. I'll tell you why: I absolutely LOVE BBQ sauce. It's hands down my favorite condiment and I need more of it in my life.
So, this recipe is basically the slider version of my cheesy BBQ chicken pizza. Ummmm WIN amiright?
Also, this recipe is SO easy to make. They're pretty much a one pan meal and they only take 30 minutes to whip up. These BBQ chicken sliders do require a bowl to mix up the chicken and BBQ sauce but other than that, it's all done in one baking pan. Super simple!
Now I'm going to level with you. I havn't had cheese since the beginning of the year. Or BBQ sauce. Or bread (all the tortillas). Or wine.
It's been rough. Don't ask.
Which is why I want to point out that FANTASTIC cheese pile up there 👆🏻. I definitely topped these puppies with a fair amount of shredded mozzarella and smoked gouda for extra yummy flavor.
Was the cheese pile worth it?
Um. ABSOLUTELY it was. Time to start living the good life again, starting with these puppies.
These BBQ chicken sliders are almost worth sitting through the 3 ½ hours (really football?? WHY?!) of game play. You can bet I'll be chowing down on some of these this weekend! See you Superbowl Sunday friends 😎.
(PS. BBQ chicken not your thing but I got you jonesin' for a slider? Head on over to my one pan turkey swiss cheese melt sliders for another game day option!)Print
Delicious BBQ game day appetizer done in just 30 minutes!
- 12 slider buns, split
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded*
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays), more if desired.
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella, grated
- ½ cup smoked gouda, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Fresh ground black pepper as desired
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Prepare a 9X13 baking dish with parchment paper. Lightly spray paper with non stick cooking spray.
- Place bottoms of slider buns in the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine shredded chicken with ½ cup of the bbq sauce. Mix until completely coated. Spread chicken equally across the buns. Top with remaining bbq sauce.
- Evenly sprinkle mozzarella, red onion, gouda, and 1 tablespoon cilantro across the chicken topped sliders. Add pepper as desired.
- Place the top buns on top of the sliders.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- While baking, melt the butter. Add remaining cilantro and set aside.
- Remove foil from the pan. Brush each bun with butter mixture. Bake, uncovered, for another ten minutes, until tops are golden. Serve immediately.
If you don't have cooked chicken, grab 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts: Drizzle a little olive oil into a skillet and cook chicken over medium-high heat until the inside is no longer pink, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat. Once cooled, shred using two forks.