Here it is!!! Necessary Halloween October post because obviously ????????. Halloween is probably my favorite holiday of the year. One because its Autumn and spooky and Hocus Pocus becomes a real, serious thing. Two because the decorations, costumes, and food are just SO much fun. I did go a little simpler this year, toning it down to an easy cocktail, the Mint Blackberry Bourbon Ginger Smash!
I can’t believe we’re in the second week of October and I still don’t even have my decorations up! We have the boxes out on the floor of course, but they seem to be stuck there. Just can’t get it together enough to unpack them and decorate in the spirit of Halloween.
I LOVE Halloween and I’ll get to it, but really I’d rather just take a nap. The weather right now is screaming curl up and fall asleep with with a good book in your hand these days ????????(my favorite kind of weather). It got cold SO fast! I did try and come up with a warmer beverage by the by, but I just kept falling back to my go to whiskey preference; bourbon. How to make this easy, tasty, and vaguely Halloweeny?…Blackberries and ginger ale!
The blackberries give this Mint Blackberry Bourbon Ginger Smash it’s awesome dark red color. My favorite part of this drink? The muddling. I actually used a spoon because we were sorely lacking in the muddler department but basically you smash the blackerries and mint together in a strainer, pour some lime juice and your favorite bourbon over it and shake (with lid secured!). Add simple syrup as desired. Pour over ice, top with ginge rale, and garnish with more blackberries and mint. Spooky cocktail DONE!
It also only takes about 5 minutes, if that. If you’re a whiskey fan like myself, this Mint Blackberry Bourbon Smash will quickly become a favorite. It’s vaguely reminiscent of a mojito, but with the tangy flavor of the berries, ginger bubbles, and bourbon whiskey instead rum.
Looking for more Halloween inspiration?? Take a look at a truly decadent pumpkin chocolate cake, chocolate candy bark in the spirit of the holiday, or even a lighter salted caramel boozy apple cider. Personally, I’m going to stick with a glass of Mint Blackberry Bourbon Smash this year!Print
- 6 ounces fresh blackberries
- 12 fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
- 4 ounces your favorite bourbon (I used Bulleit)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons simple syrup, more as desired
- Ginger ale
- Using a muddler (I actually used the flat side of a spoon), smash about 10-12 blackberries and 8 mint leaves in a cocktail shaker.
- Add lime juice, bourbon and simple syrup. Secure lid and shake briefly to combine.
- Fill a glass about 3/4 the way with ice. Pour mixture over the ice.
- Fill the last 1/4 of the glass with a splash of ginger ale. Garnish with more blackberries and mint leaves. Add more simple syrup if desired for more sweetness.
To rim your glass, pour a little white sugar on a flat plate. Before adding ice to your glass, coat the rim with lime juice using a lime slice. Press the rim of the glass into the sugar. Voila!