You guys. We're gettin SLAMMED up here. The remnants of the most recent typhoon are set to hit tonight and we already lost power yesterday for a "typical winter storm". Yikes!!! My emergency plan? Salted Caramel Boozy Apple Cider. Warm that up on my gas stove with some candles, and a book and call it a day!
Seriously though, this weather is insane. Obviously, I'm enjoying it cuz you know me and my weather obsession. However, stormy weather can pass a certain point when it's not longer exciting but rather just terrifying. When power starts going out, it's getting intense; you start calling your parents, your friends, checking in to make sure theyre ok...luckily it's no where near bad enough to start "marking safe" on facebook but whew! I'll just say again, it's insane.
So anyhoo, let's talk about this Salted Caramel Boozy Apple Cider. The recipe includes homemade spiced caramel sauce because yessss! Gotta have it. I have a heavy bottomed sauce pan so I prefer to make my caramel sauce with the "dry method", where I do not add any water to the sugar before caramelizing. If you prefer the "wet method", you can follow the same recipe but add about a 1/2 cup of water to the sugar before caramelizing. However, keep in mind that this method does take longer as the water needs to evaporate before the sugar will caramelize.
Now for the actual Apple Cider. You guys. Warmed apple cider is the BEST way to drink apple cider. A steaming cup on a blustery fall day? With Bourbon?? Umm done. This Salted Caramel Boozy Apple Cider recipe adds a little spice to the cider with nutmeg, cinnamon, and some whole cloves. You can even throw an anise star in there if you have them lying around!
Alright friends, wish us luck with the storm and enjoy a glass of Salted Caramel Boozy Apple Cider on me!Print
For the Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup coarse salt for garnish
For the Apple Cider
- 3 1/2 cups apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 cup dark rum or bourbon
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 1 honey crisp apple, diced
- Make the caramel sauce: Wipe a heavy bottomed medium sized sauce pot clean of all impurities (bits of dust, etc.). Add white sugar in an even layer and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently with a heat resistant spoon while it melts.
- When the sugar is completely caramelized, quickly whisk in the butter until completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and pour in the cream, quickly whisking until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg, whisk together until smooth.
- Let cool for a couple minutes, until warm but not hot.
- Garnish Apple Cider Glasses: Pour the salt onto a flat plate in an even layer. Gently dip the rims of glasses for the apple cider into the sauce and then into the salt. Let cool.
- Make the cider: In a large pot, heat apple cider, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and orange juice to a simmer. Cook at a simmer for 5 minutes until steaming. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Remove cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- Pour boozy cider into salted caramel garnished glasses. Add a few diced apple pieces to your glass and enjoy!