Happy Wednesday! Halfway through the week! Which means, it's almost weekend time! Any plans for Easter Sunday? Maybe a brunch, or an early dinner is in store...got everything covered? What about side dishes? I always find those to be the ones that escape me. I'll have my main course all set and ready in my head and then all of a sudden "OH...should probably think of a couple more things to go with that pot roast...". I've got a fair few side dishes on this blog for you to peruse at your leisure, but I realized I didn't have one of my favorites! Which brings me to....10 Minute Lemon Garlic Parmesan Green Beans!
First off, I love a good green bean. Such a simple vegetable, and so fun to dress up! AKA just a little butter and a pinch of salt and its good to go, or you can do the whole Green Bean Casserole shebang. This one lands somewhere in the middle, although it's pretty much just as easy as the butter and a pinch of salt option. It also only takes 10 minutes and is a cinch to make!
Ok so 10 Minute Lemon Garlic Parmesan Green Beans 101:
First, do not overcook! It can be tempting to make sure those green beans are boiled up good but remember, these are going to get broiled to get that cheese nice and melty so if you overcook them on the stove, they'll turn to mush in the oven. A good rule of thumb is cook them in the pot for about 2 minutes, and once they're bright green, remove a bean (using tongs because ????) and try it. If there's a "bite" to it, like al dente pasta, it's done! They'll soften up a little more in the oven so don't worry about them being undercooked.
Second, less is more. A pinch of salt and pepper, a little lemon juice, and some olive oil form the base of this dish. Be careful not to overdo it on the lemon or they'll be too tart. Also watch out with the salt. The parmesan cheese added just before broiling has quite a bit of salty flavor in itself.
Aaaaaaand that's pretty much it. Seriously 10 minutes and you're done! Easter Sunday side dish anyone?
- 1 lb green beans, tips trimmed
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Turn oven onto broil. Grease a large baking pan.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook 2-3 minutes, until cooked "al dente" (they should be bright green and still have a crisp bite when bitten). Drain green beans and immediately place into a large bowl of ice water or rinse thoroughly with cold water to stop the cooking. Drain again and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, toss green beans with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Arrange green beans on the prepared baking sheet. Top with parmesan cheese.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes (depending on your oven) until cheese is melted, golden in spots, and green beans are cooked through.