Slow Cooker Pot Roast. This is one my favorite recipes ever and I'm SO excited to share it with you. One because it's delicious. Two because it's easy. Three because its ridiculously delicious and ridiculously easy. Before you know it, this recipe will become a regular in your home.
Secret: My favorite reason for using a slow cooker? Not only does it help with timing and doing hard cooking things in the morning as opposed to after work, but it makes your house smell like heaven ALL day. Especially Slow Cooker Pot Roast. You have to make this just for the aroma that permeates your life :-):-):-)
So let's get to that ridiculously easy bit of this recipe. Prep is as follows: Brown the sides of the roast in a skillet. Meanwhile, dump everything else into the slow cooker and turn on high. Put browned roast on top. The end.
Easy right??? Cook it for 4 hours if on high, 8 if on low. Whisk up a little gravy when it's all done, drizzle that and some extra butter on top because obviously, beef with melted butter is a must, and serve pronto!
- 3 lb boneless beef chuck roast
- ½ cup AP flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 5 medium red potatoes, halved and then quartered lengthwise
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into inch long pieces
- 1 yellow onion, halved and then quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 4 bay leaves
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ lb green beans
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Coarse salt
- Ground black pepper
- Pat chuck roast dry. Liberally season with salt and pepper and dredge with flour on both sides.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Sear chuck roast on each side for 3-4 minutes, until browned.
- Meanwhile, pour beef broth and wine into the slow cooker. Add potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, shallot, bay leaves, and thyme sprigs.
- Place seared roast on top of vegetables in slow cooker.
- Cover with lid and turn on high for 3 ½ hours.
- After 3 ½ hours, add green beans and cook for another ½ hour, until roast falls apart with a fork. Turn the slow cooker to a "warming" setting.
- When the roast is finished cooking and is warming, Heat a small sauce pot over medium high heat. Remove 1 cup of liquid from the slow cooker and pour into the pot.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 tablespoon of flour, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened to preferred consistency. Add salt to taste.
- Pour gravy over pot roast, top with the other tablespoon of butter, and serve on top of vegetables.