There’s nothing easier than a slow cooker meal. Throw everything into that handy dandy appliance, set the timer for 4 hours later (8 even!!) and go about the rest of your day. Com back around dinner time and your meal is all set and waiting for you! I’m sure you’re all aware of my love for Mexican food by now, so this new Slowcooker Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos recipe won’t come as a surprise! ????
You can also say I’m a pretty big fan of the slow cooker. Slow cooker pot roast, Guinness beef stew, chocolate ribs, and my all time favorite three bean chili just to name a few. It’s the ultimate one pot meal! Not only is everything done in the slow cooker, but you get to leave!
As a morning person, I greatly appreciate the option of starting my dinner at 10 in the morning; get everything going, turning it on low, set a timer for 8 hours, enjoy the rest of my day, and then come back to the kitchen at 6 with dinner ready to go! Also, if you’re using a slow cooker for pretty much anything, but especially these spice filled Slowcooker Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos, it makes your house smell absolutely heavenly ALL day. I just can’t get enough slow cooker recipes!
Confession: I’m not a big fan of chicken. I’m definitely more of a red meat person (all the steak please). So when I make a recipe with chicken, it has to have a ton of flavor, otherwise I’m just not interested. So it goes without saying, these tacos are jam packed with spices! And don’t forget the produce: tomatillos, poblanos, cilantro, jalapeño, avocado, there’s even some green chiles in there. But of course, spkrinkle these puppies with a generous helping of cotijo cheese. Because. Cheese.
The one thing you might find a little lacking in these Slowcooker Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos is heat. I purposefully made them a little more mild since I was topping them with fresh, unseeded jalapeño slices. So if you like you tacos fiery hot, add your favorite hot sauce or throw some diced up jalapeño into the mix before cooking!
- 3 large boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 7 ounces canned green chiles
- 6 medium tomatillos, peeled, rinsed, and diced
- 1 large poblano chili, seeded and diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6–8 cilantro stems, leaves attached, tied together with butcher twine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mexican oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup corn kernels, thawed and drained if frozen
- Corn Tortillas
- Cotijo cheese, fresh cilantro, sliced, jalapeño, and sliced avocado to garnish
- Turn a 5 qt slow cooker on high heat. Pat chicken breasts dry and season both sides liberally with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken, chiles, tomatillos, poblano, onion, garlic, chicken broth, cumin, coriander, oregano, chili powder, and cayenne pepper to the slow cooker. Gently mix together.
- Add cilantro stems and cover the slow cooker. Cook for 3 1/2 – 4 hours on high.
- When done cooking, shred chicken using two forks.
- Add corn kernels and stir until completely combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble Tacos: Warm corn tortillas and scoop generous portions of the chicken mixture to start your taco. Top off with crumbled cotijo cheese, fresh cilantro, avocado slices, and your favorite hot sauce!