It's almost 2017!!! WHERE did 2016 go?? Honestly, it's been a doozy of a year. Let's close it down with some seriously easy comfort food that you'll be eating ALL of 2017 it's so good! This is another recipe gifted from my dear friend Rene AKA Nene or Mz. Ne as I call her. Remember that epic Chocolate Pumpkin Cake I did for Halloween? Mhmm. Her daughter Danni's recipe.
So I think it's safe to say, whenever Rene says "OH I have a recipe you should try!" you should probably jump at the chance to make it ????????. This latest concoction? Falling off the bone, melt in your mouth, Crockpot Chocolate Stout Beef Short Ribs!!!
Yup. Told you. JUMP at the chance!
Oh. My. God. These ribs though. Rene doesn't mess around! Smokey in flavor from all that glorious bittersweet chocolate and double chocolate stout, you'll be full for days after eating this meal. I chose to serve it over some creamy mashed potatoes and a side of Foolproof Artisan No Knead Bread to soak up all those juices because you don't want to miss out on ANY of that delicious sauce. It's even got rice vinegar and hoisin sauce mixed up in there! A little bit of asian fusion along with that chocolate stout takes this dish over the edge and far beyond your normal crock pot fare.
Oh and also? Let's look at the recipe title again: Crockpot Chocolate Stout Beef Short Ribs...That's right. Crockpot!!! SO. EASY. There's no excuse to not make these puppies. After a quick sear in a skillet, everything is thrown into the crockpot and cooked for 4 ½ to 5 ½ hours on high until tender. And by tender, I literally mean fall off the bone, melt in your mouth tender they're so good.
PS. If chocolate as a main ingredient for a meat weirds you out, don't let it. It is definitely not like biting into a Hershey's bar. Any sweetness in these Crockpot Chocolate Stout Beef Short Ribs sort of evaporates away and results in a rich, savory, smokey flavor that you'll happily chow down on for the rest of the new year. So let's start 2017 off right guys. Cheers to a blissful, successful, enjoyable, fun filled year starting with a delicious home cooked meal ????.Print
- 10 2-inch beef short ribs
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ¾ cups chocolate stout (I used Young's Double Chocolate Stout)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 ½ ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Pat ribs dry and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and sear ribs 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, turn a 5 qt. crockpot on high and add onion, garlic, shallot, and mushrooms.
- When ribs are seared, remove them from the pan and rest them on top of the veggies in the crock pot.
- Add chocolate stout, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce and chocolate to the crockpot.
- Cook 4 ½ to 5 ½ hours on high until ribs are tender and falling off the bone.
- Serve over mashed potatoes with sliced chives, and sesame seeds to garnish.