Obligatory yet oh so delicious date night veggie side dish recipe coming your way: quick and easy lemon garlic broccoli!
Are you aware of broccolini? Because I swear, once you've had it WHY would you ever go back to broccoli??? You don't have to cut it into florettes, and you can just dump it into a skillet to cook for about 10 minutes. No sheet pans, no oven preheating, nothing.
Honestly why has it taken me this long to cook it at home? Broccolini always seemed like something that was reserved for swanky restaurants, which is truly just ridiculous when you think about it. It has a better flavor profile than broccoli and needs barely 10 minutes on a stove top to cook so of course that's a fine dining chef's preference.
You may have also guessed that this will be our Valentine's Day side dish, alongside some mushroom fettuccine alfredo and some seared scallops to start because let'sgetfancy. Oh and don't forget that señorita margarita!
PS. Stay tuned this weekend for this year's Valentine's Day dessert! Until then, scroll down for the quick and easy zesty lemon garlic broccolini 💚.Print
This zesty veggie side dish is broccoli's tastier cousin that requires almost no prep and is done in less than 15 minutes! Vegan, dairy free, and gluten free.
- 1 lb broccolini, ends trimmed (about ¼ inch)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- Optional garnishes: lemon slices, finishing salt flakes
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add broccolini, salt and pepper to the skillet and sauté until they start to turn bright green and are lightly charred, about 5 minutes, using a spoon or tongs to move the broccolini about the skillet frequently.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet and cook 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add lemon juice and scrape up in any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in the water, cover with a lid, and cook until the broccolini turns bright green and is fork tender, about 1 minute.
- Garnish with lemon slices and finishing salt flakes as desired. Serve immediately.