I promise you I'll slow down with the autumn inspired recipe deluge soon...but not yet 😎! Next up, one pot spicy sausage pumpkin pasta.
It's all done in ONE pot! Even the pasta! No pre-cooking, no boiling water, nothing. All. In. One.
Can you tell I'm obsessed with the one pot thing?
In case you can't, this is actually an autumn twist on one of my favorite recipes, one pot sausage spinach pasta. A seasonal twist on an easy peezy, filling, flavorful, perfect for a weeknight dinner dish.
Some new additions:
Pumpkin puree. Can't have one pot spicy sausage pumpkin pasta without it! And yes, cinnamon and nutmeg do make an appearance but this dish is definitely a savory pumpkin recipe so not to worry! No dessert pasta with sausage (hard pass) here.
Also, I switched out the mild Italian sausage with it's spicy cousin and added some chili pepper flakes to up the savory flavor ante and stay away from anything sweet.
Finally, I used a medium shell pasta instead of penne. With the pumpkin puree addition, it holds the saucy sausage filling a little better than a straight tubular pasta does.
Get your autumn on with some one pot spicy sausage pumpkin pasta, recipe coming up 👊🏻.Print
Autumn inspired, easy skillet, savory pasta dinner with real pumpkin done in just one pot and in less than 30 minutes!
- 1/2 lb conchiglie (medium shell) pasta
- 1 lb spicy italian sausage
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (I used chardonnay)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup packed baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes (more as desired!)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley, roughly chopped to garnish
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the sausage and cook 5 minutes until no longer pink.
- Stir in pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, and fresh sage. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add wine to the skillet. Cook 1 minute, stirring frequently and scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Distribute conchiglie pasta evenly in the skillet. Pour milk and broth over the pasta. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until pasta is al dente, about 9-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in parmesan cheese, chopped spinach, chili pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.