Autumn inspired, easy skillet, savory pasta dinner with real pumpkin done in just one pot and in less than 30 minutes!
- 1/2 lb conchiglie (medium shell) pasta
- 1 lb spicy italian sausage
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (I used chardonnay)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup packed baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes (more as desired!)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley, roughly chopped to garnish
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the sausage and cook 5 minutes until no longer pink.
- Stir in pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, and fresh sage. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add wine to the skillet. Cook 1 minute, stirring frequently and scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Distribute conchiglie pasta evenly in the skillet. Pour milk and broth over the pasta. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until pasta is al dente, about 9-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in parmesan cheese, chopped spinach, chili pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.