Have you ever had a cold in June? It’s stupid and makes NO sense, because it’s JUNE! Time to go out and about in the sunshine right? Nope, I’ve landed on the couch for the foreseeable future. Which is why dinner is this easy, peezy one pot sausage spinach pasta.
Pasta is definitely one of my comfort foods. If I’m really feeling run down I’ll usually make a pot of my stove top mac and cheese. But when I’ve got a straight up cold, I need a little bit more in the protein and veggie arena.
Favorite things about this one pot sausage spinach pasta:
First, and most obviously, it’s in one pot. The ultimate win. You cook the pasta right in the skillet with the sausage and veggies!
Two, it takes less than 30 minutes. Quick and easy!
Third, it’s delicious.
Oh and fourth. Since it’s just made in one pot, it’s ridiculously to clean up! Comfort food without the mess? All in.
Speaking of comfort food, Dan also got me chocolate cake from the neighborhood market and it awaits me so if you’ll excuse me 😋. One pot sausage spinach pasta recipe below!Print
Easy, quick skillet pasta dinner done in just one pot and in less than 30 minutes!
- 1/2 lb penne pasta
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups spinach, packed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch cayenne powder
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the sausage and cook 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and half of the tomatoes. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add wine to the skillet. Cook 1 minute, stirring frequently and scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Distribute penne pasta evenly in the skillet. Pour milk and broth over the penne. Stir in basil, oregano, and cayenne powder. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until pasta is al dente, about 9-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in parmesan cheese, remaining tomatoes, and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.