For the child within (or for actual kids I suppose 😆) may I present a recipe from my child hood, the best ever sloppy joes!
Ever since my husband and I bought our first house last month (yay!) I feel like we’re finally taking the jump from “adulting” to actually being an adult. I’ve even switched to drinking coffee instead of tea in the mornings (house renovations are so exhausting) so I must be adult now right 🤣?!
To be brutally honest I’m in my early (early early, let’s not get ahead of ourselves) 30’s so I suppose I’ve been an adult for a while now (sigh). However, I still just feel like an enormously tall child that gets to drink delicious boozy beverages after this thing called work. Anyone else??
Let’s be real: even though I’m now a home owner, I’m probably going to feel like I’m “adulting” for the rest of my life and quite frankly I’m perfectly fine with that. Why? Well…
I fully intend on heading to the movies this weekend to see both Spiderman: Far From Home AND the new live action Lion King (SO EXCITED!) after painting cabinets in my new kitchen. I still jam out to Disney songs in the car on the way to work, or anywhere really. I have a Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter collection. I got the new Harry Potter Go app so I could be a wizard the second it came out. I went to Comic Con wearing a Doctor Who t-shirt with the Tenth on it and squealed with glee when I got to meet him (hands down AMAZING! David Tennant is just as adorable and nice as you’d think).
When I go to the beach, or the pool, forget tanning. You best believe I’m swimming my heart out. Oh and by swimming I mean hitting up every water slide, playing marco polo, and sword fighting with pool noodles. I have a whiskey night cap with a side of ice cream. Dessert is still my favorite thing. I do puzzles and wine every Wednesday with my peeps.
“Adulting” for the rest of my adult life? I think so. Now, in the spirit of keeping the child within alive, who’s ready for the BEST ever sloppy joes???
Perfect for kids and “adulting” adults (or just every adult honestly), this is my Mom’s recipe and was a fave of mine growing up. Remember her tuna melts? And meat loaf? OH and that slow cooker chili? Tasty right??
Safe to say this recipe is absolutely delicious. Super easy and quick too! Cook everything up in one skillet, serve with your favorite buns or bread and you’re done!
PS. These best ever sloppy joes are also 100% husband approved: “SLOPPY JOE NIGHT!!!! *cleans entire plate in less than 5 minutes*”. Recipe for every kid of every age below 😎.Print
Mom’s quick, easy, one pot, homemade sloppy joes guaranteed to bring back favorite childhood memories. Perfect for every age!
- 1 lb ground beef, 93% or 80% lean
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add ground beef, salt and pepper. Cook until browned, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Add onion and bell pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until somewhat softened.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Cook until it turns dark reddish brown, about 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot by pouring in the red wine or red wine vinegar and scraping up any browned bits on the bottom.
- Stir in worchestershire sauce and ketchup. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook 5-10 minutes, until mixture has somewhat thickened.
- Remove from heat. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Plate with your favorite bread or buns. Garnish parsley as desired. Serve immediately.