Mom’s quick, easy, one pot, homemade sloppy joes guaranteed to bring back favorite childhood memories. Perfect for every age!
- 1 lb ground beef, 93% or 80% lean
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add ground beef, salt and pepper. Cook until browned, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Add onion and bell pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until somewhat softened.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Cook until it turns dark reddish brown, about 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot by pouring in the red wine or red wine vinegar and scraping up any browned bits on the bottom.
- Stir in worchestershire sauce and ketchup. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook 5-10 minutes, until mixture has somewhat thickened.
- Remove from heat. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Plate with your favorite bread or buns. Garnish parsley as desired. Serve immediately.