It’s rainy again in Seattle!!! One day of sun is quite enough for me, and we had a whole week. Clouds and rain pleasekthanks. When it’s rainy I don’t have to come up with as many excuses to stay in and play Zelda slash binge watch the new season of Lucifer (and rebinge the old seasons TBH) 😎.
Also, it means its soup weather! Not much more of that before the summer rolls in so I’m squeezing in this last soup recipe before grilling and salads all the time begins. Say hello to slow cooker chicken enchilada soup!
Reasons to love this soup ready go:
First, throw all the ingredients (except the cheese) in the slow cooker. Set it and forget. Once done, stir in cheese.
Second, it’s SO filling and SO flavorful. Tons of veggies and protein in an enchilada sauce style broth. I like to top mine with some homemade tortilla strips too for extra crunch and tastiness.
Third, this slow cooker enchilada soup tastes even better the next day, just like chili!Print
Creamy, cheesy, flavorful enchilada soup all done in the slow cooker!
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (uncooked)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 10 ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 ounce can green chilis
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- Salt to taste
- Freshly chopped cilantro, tortilla strips, lime slices for garnish
- In a 5 quart slow cooker, whisk together all ingredients, except the cheese and the chicken, until completely combined.
- Place chicken in the slow cooker and cover with the soup mixture.
- Cook for 3 1/2 – 4 hours on high, or 7 – 8 hours on low.
- Shred chicken using tongs or two forks. Stir in cheese until completely combined. Add salt as desired.
- Garnish with cilantro, tortilla strips, and lime slices. Serve immediately.
Rather than buy the cheese already grated, by a block and grate it at home. The pre-shredded cheese doesn’t melt as well!