Creamy, cheesy, flavorful enchilada soup all done in the slow cooker!
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (uncooked)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 10 ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 ounce can green chilis
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- Salt to taste
- Freshly chopped cilantro, tortilla strips, lime slices for garnish
- In a 5 quart slow cooker, whisk together all ingredients, except the cheese and the chicken, until completely combined.
- Place chicken in the slow cooker and cover with the soup mixture.
- Cook for 3 1/2 - 4 hours on high, or 7 - 8 hours on low.
- Shred chicken using tongs or two forks. Stir in cheese until completely combined. Add salt as desired.
- Garnish with cilantro, tortilla strips, and lime slices. Serve immediately.
Rather than buy the cheese already grated, by a block and grate it at home. The pre-shredded cheese doesn't melt as well!