Have you ever tried black bean hummus? I did for the first time a month or so ago and instantaneously fell in love. Tested a recipe a few times in the coming weeks and voila! Black bean hummus with spicy corn relish.
Hummus itself is so easy to make, why not try a little twist and switch up the flavors for something new?? Instead of garbanzo beans, swap them out for some black beans, a little cilantro, and a squeeze of lime! No worries though, Tahini is still the main ingredient so you’ll get that classic hummus flavor.
Real quick about that spicy corn relish. Who knew relish was so easy?! Literally just throw all the ingredients for it in a small pot, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes, and then let cool. That’s it! Plus, the “spicy” addition is just a 1/2 a teaspoon of red chili pepper flakes. If you want more heat or prefer to nix the spice all together, totally up to you!
Black bean hummus is a great way to add a little pizzazz to a burrito or tortilla chips and dip. If you prefer pita chips (my go to honestly), I even have a recipe for a homemade version that lasts about 5 minutes in this house!
Now grab some black bean hummus and get dipping!Print
For the Hummus
- 15 ounces canned black beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, pepper to taste
For the Corn Relish
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked corn, sliced off the cob
- 2 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons canned green chilis, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 green and red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teapsoon red chili pepper flakes, more to taste
- Combine all ingredients for the corn relish in a small pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set side to cool.
- Combine all ingredients for the hummus in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Top black bean hummus with cooled corn relish and some fresh chopped cilantro leaves.