This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
So what's one of the best food pairings ever (other than chocolate with chocolate of course)? Strawberries and rhubarb! Apparently I'm feeling strawberries this spring. To be honest though, I think I generally feel strawberries in the spring. Even though they're traditionally a summer fruit, I can't not mix them with rhubarb in the middle of April. Easy Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins for the win!
Usually, if I have a recipe that uses the same main ingredient as a recent post (aka strawberry sangria), I'll mix it up and wait to share it with you. But I just couldn't wait to share these Easy Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins. Number one: Because they're easy. Number two: Because they're just so full of spring ????????. Nothing says spring like rhubarb. When it shows up all ruby red and pastel pink all at the same time, you know the seasons a'changing. I especially love rhubarb because of how well it pairs with ginger, lemon, and of course, strawberries.
So let's get to the point. These are delicious, and they're easy. Once again, this is a tried and true recipe that were tried several (several!) times to make true. Secret: the first batch I ever made of these? The tops spread all over the muffin tray. Apparently I got a little overzealous with the yogurt and buttermilk additions. But hey, practice makes perfect, and these are pretty dang close.
Also, did you catch that? These Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins have plain yogurt in them! Instead of cream or more buttermilk, the plain yogurt imparts a ton of moisture without the heavy calories for a healthier muffin. Not going to lie though, I totally spooned a dollop of whipped cream on one as a dessert. Which completely negates the usage of yogurt, but I don't even care. Totally worth it.
Easy Strawberry Rhubarb muffins just not enough rhubarb for you??
Check out these Strawberry Rhubarb Pancakes for breakfast, or a Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Mini Pie for dessert!Print
Easy Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 12-16 1x
One of the best spring combos; fresh strawberry and rhubarb muffins with a hint of lemon zest.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup strawberries, roughly chopped
- 1 cup rhubarb, diced ¼ inch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Grease or line a standard 12 cup muffin tin with baking cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ginger until combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, white sugar, yogurt, buttermilk, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and vegetable oil until thoroughly combined.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in strawberries and rhubarb.
- Divide the batter evenly between each muffin cup (about 2-3 heaping large spoonfuls). You may have some leftover or you can add the extra batter to the cups for jumbo muffins.
- Bake on a center rack for 20-25 minutes, until tops are golden and bounce back when touched.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes and then transfer the muffins to a wire rack.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
Delicious muffins! Can't wait to make them again.
Very good easy recipe! Delicious! I will remake some again!!!!!
Very easy to follow and came out delicious!! Not overly sweet but just right for a homemade taste. The only question I have if I may is how many calories per muffin or per serving?