Saturday brunch time!!! It’s also long past due this spring for some kind of strawberry rhubarb concoction. However, there’s only so many times I can make up excuses to eat Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble for breakfast so I had to come up with a legit brunch food to satisfy the cravings. I think you’ll agree that I have an excellent alternative in store for you when you taste these Strawberry Rhubarb Buttermilk Pancakes!
For this recipe, I opted for a basic buttermilk pancake topped with a sweet and tart strawberry rhubarb compote. The use of all buttermilk instead of using half buttermilk and half milk really oomph up the flavor of these pancakes and also make them just melt in your mouth. Also, no egg white folding here! You can do so if you’d like the super tall, super fluffy effect like my Lemon Ricotta Blueberry Pancakes but for a quicker breakfast for starving peeps, this recipe just calls for two beaten eggs. Simple as that! And trust me, these pancakes are plenty fluffy.
Oh and about that compote. Omg. Have I told you how much I love compote? Reasons why:
- SO EASY!!! Literally throw things into a pot and turn up the heat.
- It’s absolutely delicious on top of all things French Toast and Pancakesque.
- It sounds snazzy. Tell anyone you made Strawberry Rhubarb Buttermilk Pancakes with a compote and they might just swoon. It sounds like you spent days making the perfect breakfast when really it only took 10 minutes.
In conclusion, compote for the wiiiinnn!!!
Tip: In order to make the perfect, fluffy pancakes, do not overmix the batter! Whisk everything together until it’s just combined, leaving some small lumps. If overmixed, the batter won’t rise as well when cooking. Just a quick whisk and you’ll get those amazing light and fluffy golden Strawberry Rhubarb Buttermilk Pancakes!Print
For the Pancakes
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter + extra 4 tablespoons for cooking
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, diced
For the Compote
- 2 cups strawberries, diced
- 1/2 lb rhubarb, ends trimmed, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Sifted powdered sugar, to garnish
For the Compote
- In a small pot over medium high heat, add all the ingredients except for the corn starch and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally.
- Combine the corn starch with a tablespoon of water until thoroughly mixed and whisk into the pot.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let steep for another 5 minutes and then refrigerate until ready to use.
For the Pancakes
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, powdered sugar, and salt. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- In another mixing bowl. whisk eggs, melted butter, vanilla extract, and buttermilk together until combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until just mixed. There should still be some lumps in the batter.
- Gently stir in strawberries.
- Heat a griddle or a large skillet over medium heat and melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Scoop a heaping ¼ cup of pancake batter and pour onto skillet or griddle.
- Cook until little bubbles start to form, about 3 minutes. Flip over and cook for another minute. Remove to a plate and repeat this process with the rest of the batter.
- Serve with butter, drizzled compote, sifted powdered sugar, and more fresh strawberries as desired.