- 10 2-inch beef short ribs
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 3/4 cups chocolate stout (I used Young's Double Chocolate Stout)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Pat ribs dry and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and sear ribs 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, turn a 5 qt. crockpot on high and add onion, garlic, shallot, and mushrooms.
- When ribs are seared, remove them from the pan and rest them on top of the veggies in the crock pot.
- Add chocolate stout, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce and chocolate to the crockpot.
- Cook 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours on high until ribs are tender and falling off the bone.
- Serve over mashed potatoes with sliced chives, and sesame seeds to garnish.