Happy Wednesday guys! So I recently realized I hadn't made a chili in foreverrrr. It had just been too hot for anything of real substance! Well, as we have established, Autumn is the start of the magnificent soup season and the perfect time to bust out the slow cooker. Soooo Slow Cooker Pumpkin Sausage Chili anyone??
Everytime I make my vegetarian Slow Cooker Three Bean Chili, Dan always asks if I could "maaaaybe put some kind of meat in it??". Since I love that particular chili just the way it is, I never actually do 😛 but I figured he might be right. Time to try a chili with some type of meat! However, I'm not really a fan of ground turkey or beef chilis. Just not enough flavor in either of those for a chili in my opinion.
But wait!! The almighty Italian sausage could do just the trick! Great flavor with the same texture as ground turkey and beef. It adds a wonderful spice to this Slow Cooker Pumpkin Sausage Chili, tempering any hint of sweetness from the pumpkin puree.
Speaking of which, yup! This recipe contains pumpkin puree, and even a little bit of pumpkin pie spice! Basically I didn't have the time to go through the entire deseeding, carving, and roasting of a pie pumpkin, and I have a feeling you might not either. If you've got the time, go for it! It's also a great activity with kids. But if you're just looking for a delicious, hearty, comforting autumn soup that's just easily thrown together, pumpkin puree is the way to go :-).
I've also made this Slow Cooker Pumpkin Sausage Chili recipe extremely easy to tailor to your diet. Simply remove the sausage and use vegetable broth instead of chicken and voila! Vegan pumpkin chili. Nifty yah?Print
- 1 lb mild Italian pork sausage
- 15 oz canned pumpkin puree
- 15 oz canned diced tomato
- 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 15 oz can white beans, drained
- 7 oz canned green fire roasted chilis, drained
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Turn your slow cooker on high. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add Italian sausage, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Add cooked sausage and the rest of the ingredients into the the slow cooker. Stir until combined. Cook for 3 to 4 hours, depending on your slow cooker.
- Garnish with chives, sour cream, and a a sprinkle of cheddar and monterey jack cheese.