In preparation of Valentine’s Day next week, I decided to remake one of my favorite breakfast recipes: an oldie but a goodie, cream cheese stuffed blackberry compote french toast! I originally wrote the post back in 2016 and OH man my photography skills have most definitely improved 🤣. Re-sharing the old post with new photos starting in 3…2…1!
Brunch time!!! AKA time to get serious. Like cream cheese stuffed blackberry compote french toast serious. Vanilla cinnamon french toast sandwiches spread with with whipped cream cheese and topped with an easy, simple, homemade blackberry compote sauce? Breakfast for EVERY meal of the day amiright?
Also, did I mention it only takes 20 minutes? And you get to sound super snazzy when you tell your guests you made the compote yourself (compote. not sauce. stay awesome my friends).
I’m sure I’ve mentioned this a million times, but in case you haven’t heard, I’m not a breakfast person *gasp*! I know I know. Totally made these last Monday for dinner (Dan was out of town) and I found they’re just as good at 6 PM as they are for Sunday Brunch. So there you have it. So good I would them for breakfast AND dinner.
Now the compote might sound tricky, but it’s really just a fancy word for a syrupy sauce with whole fruit in it. And it’s way easier than you’d think to whip up.
Step1: Throw all the ingredients into a small pot.
Step 2: Boil.
Step 3: Simmer.
Step 4: Eat.
Yessss. Simple as that.
Impress your significant other this Valentine’s Day morning or just your friends at Sunday brunch with this cream cheese stuffed blackberry compote french toast, recipe below!Print
Take your go to french toast brunch recipe up a notch with this cream cheese and compote stuffed brioche bread version!
For the Stuffed French Toast
- 8 pieces of thick, rich bread about 1-inch thick (brioche or challah)
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Powdered sugar to garnish
- Optional: 1/4 cup blackberry compote for stuffing
For the Compote
- 12 ounces blackberries
- zest of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (for compote)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
Make the Compote
- Combine the blackberries, lemon juice and zest, sugar, vanilla extract and water into a small sauce pot. Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until boiling.
- Add the corn starch to the pot and stir once again until boiling. Lower to a simmer until compote thickens. Remove from heat.
Make the Stuffed French Toast
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
- Make 4 sandwiches by spreading whipped cream cheese onto one side of each slice of bread.
- Optional: Spread 1 tablespoon of the compote on top of the cream cheese spread slices.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- When butter is melted, dip sandwiches one at a time into the egg mixture, and place 2 at a time into the hot pan. Using a spatula, flip sandwiches over after about 2 minutes (until golden brown), and cook the other side for another 2 minutes.
- Repeat with the next 2 sandwiches, pouring out burnt butter and adding the next 2 tablespoons. Serve immediately drizzled with warm compote and sprinkled with powdered sugar.