Mmm pancakes. Specifically these Lemon Ricotta Blueberry Pancakes. Anyone else remember waking up on sunday mornings to the scent of the batter frying up in the skillet wafting up the stairs? Oh man. My dad used to make them with fruit cocktail on the bottom, I always got one with a cherry in it 🙂
Whatever the case, pancakes are necessary to any breakfast spread; a massive stack of them drenched in butter and maple syrup dripping down the sides. This recipe takes it a couple steps further, adding zesty lemon, creamy ricotta, and fresh blueberries to the mix. Delicious!
Also, these pancakes are extra, extra fluffy!!! Using 3 egg whites instead of the usual whole eggs, whisking to a stiff peak and then folding them into the batter adds some serious fluff.
Any favorite pancake recipes? Leave a line below!Print
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup low fat ricotta
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons melted butter + extra 4 for cooking
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint blueberries
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, powdered sugar, and salt. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- In another mixing bowl. whisk egg yolk, melted butter, lemon zest, vanilla extract, ricotta, buttermilk, and milk together until combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until just mixed. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold 1 cup blueberries and egg whites into the flour mixture until just combined.
- Heat a griddle or a large skillet over medium heat and melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Scoop a heaping 1/4 cup of pancake batter and pour onto skillet or griddle. Add about 10 blueberries on top.
- Cook until little bubbles start to form, about 3 minutes. Flip over and cook for another minute. Remove to a plate and repeat this process with the rest of the batter.
- Serve with butter, sifted powdered sugar, and more fresh blueberries.