You guys. Cheesy garlic slow cooker mashed potatoes. Need I say more?
I’m not going to lie, when I first heard of slow cooker mashed potatoes I legit scoffed, as in “pshhhh ridiculous, just make them in a regular pot like a regular person”. Lo and behold, last Thanksgiving, everything was ready to go except the mashed potatoes. We all sat around staring at the food waiting for them to finish! I promised myself then and there I was going to look into slow cooker mashed potatoes for next year.
Well! Not only did I make slow cooker mashed potatoes, I made cheesy garlic slow cooker mashed potatoes and I am fully prepared to literally eat my words. You seriously just throw the potatoes and some milkin the slow cooker in the morning, let it go for hours, and then add the rest of the ingredients at end. Mash it all together (or use a hand mixer for extra creaminess) and done! After that you can even set the cooker to warm and forget about it until dinner time.
It amazes me. HOW had I never thought about this before? And isn’t this like the third time something like this has happened? “I don’t doooo smoothies”, “ew quinoa”, and “pshhhhh slow cooker mashed potatoes”. Here’s hoping that I’ve finally learned my lesson 😆.
Anyhoo, make your lives super easy this Thanksgiving; throw your potatoes in the slow cooker and forget about them! But definitely don’t forget about all that cheesy goodness. Oh and garlic. I for one, am never going back to the old ways of stove top taters. Slow cooker for the win!Print
- 3 lbs red potatoes, diced (no need to peel!)
- 1 1/2 cups milk + extra as needed
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- Turn on and grease the inside of the slow cooker with a little bit of the butter. Add potatoes, milk and garlic to the slow cooker. Cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours on high, or 7-8 on low.
- Mash the potatoes right in the slower cooker. Add the butter and sour cream, mash to combine.
- Stir in cheeses until completely mixed.
- Add more milk if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Keep slow cooker on warm and with lid on until ready to serve. Top with fresh chives, fresh ground black pepper, and, of course, a little more butter!
*There may be some browned milk on the sides of your slow cooker when its finished. It’s actually quite tasty and just changes color. I actually mix it into the mashed potatoes but feel free to just scrape it off and discard it if desired.
I use a 5 quart slow cooker. If using a smaller slow cooker, this recipe can easily be halved!