Pretty sure this was inevitable. Last post was roasted bell pepper tomato soup so...we need a new grilled cheese recipe to go with it amiright? How about an autumn pumpkin grilled cheese sandwich?!
My friend Lauren told me about the pumpkin sandwich bread at Trader Joes aaaand I'm officially obsessed with it. THEN she said she makes grilled cheese with it...🤯. An immediate trip to Trader Joes was necessary so I could try this out for myself.
Conclusion: it's even more wildly delicious than you think so make sure to say thank you to Lauren because she's a grilled cheese genius!
Side note: it may look like I burnt the bejesus out of this pumpkin grilled cheese sandwich but I assure you I did not. Unlike your standard white sourdough, the pumpkin sandwich bread was already a deep brown so it just darkens really quickly and very intensely, but it's not burnt!
Also, if you can't tell by the photos, I maaay have used too much cheese.
Oh wait. NO such thing!
All. The. Cheese 😍. Goat cheese with pumpkin puree, sharp white cheddar, and medium orange cheddar (for orange color - it's October I couldn't resist). A little fresh sage for flavor and a few apple slices for crunch and we're in business!
PS. No Trader Joes near you? Not to worry. This pumpkin grilled cheese sandwich doesn't get it's pumpkin flavor from the bread alone! I'm an avid believer in using actual pumpkin (aka puree because ohmygod breaking down a pumpkin takes forever) whenever the word pumpkin appears in the recipe title. You can easily substitute with como or sourdough bread and then follow the recipe for ultimate cheesy Fall goodness!
Are you ready for this autumn comfort food fest? Whip up the recipe below and serve with a bowl of tomato soup for the perfect cozy October dinner!Print
Ultra comforting and delicious, this grilled cheese uses pumpkin sandwich bread, pumpkin puree, three types of melty cheese a little fresh sage and some apple slices for extra crunch.
- 2 slices pumpkin sandwich bread (I used the one from Trader Joes) or sourdough bread
- 1 ounces herbed chèvre cheese
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 2 slices sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 slice sharp orange cheddar cheese
- 1 small granny smith apple, sliced (about 8 slices)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh sage, roughly minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, for spreading
- Spread a layer of butter (about a tablespoon) on one side of both slices of bread.
- In a small bowl mix together goat cheese and pumpkin puree until thoroughly combined.
- Spread a layer of pumpkin goat cheese mixture on the non buttered side of each slice of bread. Sprinkle with sage.
- Top one side of the sandwich with cheddar slices and apple slices. Place the other bread slice butter-side-up on top.
- Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat and melt remaining butter in the pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until cheese starts to melt and bread has started to brown.* Flip over and cook another 3-4 minutes until cheese is completely melted and bread is golden. Remove from heat. Slice in half and serve immediately.
If using pumpkin sandwich bread (especially the Trader Joe's one), note that because it's a brown bread it darkens MUCH faster but is not burnt. Just keep a close eye on it!