Dan bought a FANCY new BBQ last weekend and we’re super excited about it so it’s officially grill season in our corner of the universe. Ergo, chicken chipotle burgers!
I’ve been attempting to try and be at least a teensy bit healthier during quarantine so I opted for ground chicken patties instead of your standard beef. However, if you’re not enthused at the prospect of chicken don’t let that deter you. They’re just as flavorful, juicy, and delicious as a regular burger patty and even come with a little bit of a spicy kick!
These chipotle chicken burgers are packed with bell peppers, poblano peppers, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, onion, garlic, cilantro, and tons of spices. Plus, they only take 20 minutes start to finish! Gotta love a good less than 30 minute meal.
For the ultimate grilled summer BBQ dinner, serve these tasty patties with spicy pepper jack cheese, butter lettuce, red onion, pico de gallo and a toasted bun slathered with chipotle sauce.
Chicken chipotle burgers recipe below 🍔!Print
Deliciously juicy chicken burgers made with chipotles in adobo sauce. Top with pepper jack cheese for an extra spicy kick!
For the Burger Patties
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1/2 white onion diced small
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly minced
- 2 tablespoons green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, minced + 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce
- 1/2 poblano pepper, diced small
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Burgers
- Preheat an outdoor grill or a grill pan rubbed with a little oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for the patties until thoroughly mixed. Divide meat into four, large and round equal portions to make the patties. Flatten to the approximate size of your burger buns. Press your thumb into the center of each patty, forming an indent, to allow for even cooking.
- Place burger patties on the grill surface. For a medium rare patty, cook each side for about 4-5 minutes. For a medium patty (my preferred style), cook 5-6 minutes one side, and 4-5 minutes on the other. Remove to a plate to rest for 3-4 minutes. Top patties with cheese (if using), and gently tent with foil.
- Optional: toast the buns on the grill for 2 minutes, face down, until slightly golden. Remove from heat and spread a little chipotle sauce on each bun.
- Assemble the burgers, layering as follows: Bottom bun, butter lettuce, red onion, pepper jack burger patties, pineapple slices, spoonful of pico de gallo, and top bun. Serve immediately.