Deliciously juicy chicken burgers made with chipotles in adobo sauce. Top with pepper jack cheese for an extra spicy kick!
For the Burger Patties
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1/2 white onion diced small
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly minced
- 2 tablespoons green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, minced + 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce
- 1/2 poblano pepper, diced small
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Burgers
- Preheat an outdoor grill or a grill pan rubbed with a little oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for the patties until thoroughly mixed. Divide meat into four, large and round equal portions to make the patties. Flatten to the approximate size of your burger buns. Press your thumb into the center of each patty, forming an indent, to allow for even cooking.
- Place burger patties on the grill surface. For a medium rare patty, cook each side for about 4-5 minutes. For a medium patty (my preferred style), cook 5-6 minutes one side, and 4-5 minutes on the other. Remove to a plate to rest for 3-4 minutes. Top patties with cheese (if using), and gently tent with foil.
- Optional: toast the buns on the grill for 2 minutes, face down, until slightly golden. Remove from heat and spread a little chipotle sauce on each bun.
- Assemble the burgers, layering as follows: Bottom bun, butter lettuce, red onion, pepper jack burger patties, pineapple slices, spoonful of pico de gallo, and top bun. Serve immediately.