Hokay, final Cinco de Mayo recipe of 2020 (and then back to baking 🤣): simple, 20 minute, 6 ingredient, authentic roasted tomatillo salsa verde!
Yes you read that correctly. It only takes 20 minutes with just 6 ingredients. That’s all! No need to buy the jarred stuff anymore.
And it’s SO simple to make! Here’s what’s up:
That’s all there is to it! This roasted tomatillo salsa verde is so fresh and tasty, you’ll never need to buy store bought again! Recipe below 😎.Print
20 minute fresh, homemade salsa verde. Super easy, simple, and just 6 ingredients for authentic Mexican flavor!
- 1 lb tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed and patted dry with paper towel
- 2 jalapeño peppers, halved, seeds removed as desired for heat (I left about half in)
- 1/2 medium white onion, cut in half
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (leaves and stems)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon coarse salt (I used very little as I tend to eat salsa with salty tortilla chips)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Prepare a baking sheet with foil.
- Place tomatillos, jalapeños, onion halves, and garlic cloves on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes until tomatillos start to brown.
- In a blender or food processor, blend roasted ingredients with cilantro and lime juice until smooth. Add salt as desired. Serve immediately or chill in the fridge in a sealed container up to one week.