I've made a deal with myself. Every other post will be a baking recipe because I HAVE to calm down. So. Many. Baked. Goods. Also the store is out of flour because everyone else has the same idea. Ergo, balsamic chicken caprese salad!
This recipe uses one of my fave chicken marinades, the same one featured in my one pan balsamic garlic mozzarella chicken. It's quick, easy, and SO flavorful. A 30 minute marinade, and 25 minutes in the oven is all it takes!
Honestly, who can say no to caprese? If you have leftover mozzarella, tomato, and basil, you can totally have it with that crusty, no knead artisan bread you've been baking non stop like myself 😆.
Check out the balsamic chicken caprese salad recipe below!Print
Deliciously marinated chicken on a bed of greens with basil, mozzarella, tomatoes, and a homemade balsamic vinaigrette (prep time includes marinating chicken).
For the Chicken Marinade
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Salad
- 8 ounces small mozzarella balls, halved
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped (about 15 leaves)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced (optional)
- 4–6 cups spring greens mix
For the Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- Dash of salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a small baking dish or oven safe skillet. In a large bowl or ziploc bag, coat chicken in marinade ingredients. Marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Place marinated chicken in the prepared dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink (temps at 165°F). Change oven to broil and cook as desired for coloring (around 2-3 minutes). Remove from oven. Let rest in a warm place for 5 minutes.
- While chicken is resting, whisk together all ingredients for the vinaigrette in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together the greens, basil, tomatoes, mozzarella, and vinaigrette.
- Slice chicken as desired. Top salad with chicken, avocado if using, any remaining fresh basil, and freshly ground black pepper. Serve chicken warmed or chilled.