Take your go to french toast brunch recipe up a notch with this cream cheese and compote stuffed brioche bread version!
For the Stuffed French Toast
- 8 pieces of thick, rich bread about 1-inch thick (brioche or challah)
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Powdered sugar to garnish
- Optional: 1/4 cup blackberry compote for stuffing
For the Compote
- 12 ounces blackberries
- zest of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (for compote)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
Make the Compote
- Combine the blackberries, lemon juice and zest, sugar, vanilla extract and water into a small sauce pot. Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until boiling.
- Add the corn starch to the pot and stir once again until boiling. Lower to a simmer until compote thickens. Remove from heat.
Make the Stuffed French Toast
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
- Make 4 sandwiches by spreading whipped cream cheese onto one side of each slice of bread.
- Optional: Spread 1 tablespoon of the compote on top of the cream cheese spread slices.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- When butter is melted, dip sandwiches one at a time into the egg mixture, and place 2 at a time into the hot pan. Using a spatula, flip sandwiches over after about 2 minutes (until golden brown), and cook the other side for another 2 minutes.
- Repeat with the next 2 sandwiches, pouring out burnt butter and adding the next 2 tablespoons. Serve immediately drizzled with warm compote and sprinkled with powdered sugar.