Time to warm up this chilly autumn season. Our new house is absolutely freezing, a bit of an adjustment from our old apartment. If you're in the same predicament, this easy classic minestrone soup will warm you right up!
I've realized something about myself. I absolutely love soups and stews with pasta (and skillet pasta dishes) that cooks in one pot. I get excited every time I cook one up because they're SO easy! No boiling pasta pot, no extra sauteing pan, just simply done in my dutch oven. Wiiiiiin 👊🏻!
This particular iteration is a classic minestrone soup chock full of fresh vegetables, pasta and warm, tasty broth. I've been eating it for dinner for the past three days because it's so fresh and delicious!
Plus, it cooks up in less than 30 minutes and you only have to clean the one pot (*fist pump*).
Oh AND it's vegan! Love when that happens. Scroll for the classic minestrone soup recipe below!Print
A traditional vegetarian (and vegan!) Italian soup recipe with seasonal vegetables and pasta made all in one pot.
- 1 cup small shelled pasta or elbow macaroni
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or red wine vinegar
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup celery stalks, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 cup zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 14 ounce canned diced tomatoes
- 14 ounce can kidney beans, drained
- 14 ounce can great northern beans, drained
- 2 cups packed baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped to garnish
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium high heat. Stir in onion, carrot, celery, and zucchini in pot and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, basil and oregano. Sauté for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in the wine. Make sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in vegetable broth, tomatoes, beans, and fresh sage. Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer, stir in pasta and cook 9-10 minutes, until pasta is al dente, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and green beans. Cook 1-2 minutes, until green beans are warmed through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.