A traditional vegetarian (and vegan!) Italian soup recipe with seasonal vegetables and pasta made all in one pot.
- 1 cup small shelled pasta or elbow macaroni
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or red wine vinegar
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup celery stalks, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 cup zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 14 ounce canned diced tomatoes
- 14 ounce can kidney beans, drained
- 14 ounce can great northern beans, drained
- 2 cups packed baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped to garnish
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium high heat. Stir in onion, carrot, celery, and zucchini in pot and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, basil and oregano. Sauté for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in the wine. Make sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in vegetable broth, tomatoes, beans, and fresh sage. Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer, stir in pasta and cook 9-10 minutes, until pasta is al dente, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and green beans. Cook 1-2 minutes, until green beans are warmed through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.