So it's full on baking mode time. Up next, double chocolate banana bread.
TBH with you right now, I got in from a red eye last night from Ireland by way of Iceland and I've got negative brain power at the moment so we're going to make this quick 😅.
Basically, take your classic banana bread recipe and add all the chocolate. Cocoa powder, bittersweet chocolate chunks, semisweet chocolate chunks...you get the idea 😍.
Not going to lie, this is my new go-to over ripe banana recipe. As we've established, I'm a huge sucker for anything chocolate and this baked deliciousness is no exception. Easy to make and oh so decadently tasty!
That's pretty much all I got in me for now peeps. Crawling back into bed because this jet lag is no joke but I'll tell you all about the trip later!
Summing up so I can go back to sleep: this double chocolate banana bread is a great way dress up your traditional recipe for the holidays while also using up over ripe bananas. Scroll down for how to make it yourself!Print
Classic banana bread recipe mixed with decadent black out chocolate flavor. Great way to use up over ripe bananas and get a little slice of (healthier) dessert!
- 3–4 bananas, very ripe (around 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet and bitter sweet chocolate chunks
- 1 banana, thinly sliced lengthwise for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until completely combined.
- Add the eggs, and vanilla extract and whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- In a separate bowl, mash up the bananas. Add to the egg mixture and stir until combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir until just combined. Gently stir in chocolate chunks.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan. Top with thinly sliced banana lengths for garnish.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes (depending on your oven), rotating halfway through baking. If the top gets dark brown before the middle is cooked, cover gently with a piece of foil and continue baking.
When a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean, remove the bread from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm.