Watermelon is the ultimate summer fruit. Juicy and refreshing, it’s perfect for any hot August day. Pair with it some carbs and I’m all in: watermelon panzanella salad!
I’m no stranger to watermelon inspired recipes. But if you remember, I’m also the biggest carb fan ever and have a constant stash of it in my kitchen. Luckily, panzanella is a great way to use up stale bread, particularly any baguette or artisan loaf from last night’s dinner.
The major difference between a classic panzanella and this watermelon panzanella? Instead of using the traditional tomatoes to help soften up the croutons, we’re going to let the watermelon do the job!
On and plus, this salad only takes about 10 minutes to prep. That’s it! Perfect as a side dish for any BBQ or summer get together. Recipe coming right up 🌞️.
A deliciously refreshing summer twist on a classic panzanella recipe. The perfect (vegan) side dish for any BBQ!
- 4 cups stale or fresh rustic sourdough baguette, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 lbs watermelon, sliced or cut into bite sized chunks
- 8 ounces heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch basil, cut chiffonade
For the Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- If using fresh bread: Preheat oven to 300˚F. Place bread cubes on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt. Bake for 15 minutes, until dried out and crunchy. Remove and set aside to cool. (If using stale bread, skip this step).
- In a large mixing bowl, toss watermelon, tomatoes, onion, and cucumber together. Set aside to rest while making the vinaigrette.
- Make the vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients and whisk together until thoroughly combined.
- Add the stale (or previously dried out) bread cubes and vinaigrette to the watermelon mixture. Toss until thoroughly combined.
- Let the salad sit for about 20 to 30 minutes, to let dried bread infuse with the salad juices. Stir occasionally if desired to keep vinaigrette thoroughly mixed.
- Add basil chiffonade just before serving.