A deliciously refreshing summer twist on a classic panzanella recipe. The perfect (vegan) side dish for any BBQ!
- 4 cups stale or fresh rustic sourdough baguette, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 lbs watermelon, sliced or cut into bite sized chunks
- 8 ounces heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch basil, cut chiffonade
For the Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- If using fresh bread: Preheat oven to 300˚F. Place bread cubes on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt. Bake for 15 minutes, until dried out and crunchy. Remove and set aside to cool. (If using stale bread, skip this step).
- In a large mixing bowl, toss watermelon, tomatoes, onion, and cucumber together. Set aside to rest while making the vinaigrette.
- Make the vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients and whisk together until thoroughly combined.
- Add the stale (or previously dried out) bread cubes and vinaigrette to the watermelon mixture. Toss until thoroughly combined.
- Let the salad sit for about 20 to 30 minutes, to let dried bread infuse with the salad juices. Stir occasionally if desired to keep vinaigrette thoroughly mixed.
- Add basil chiffonade just before serving.