And we've made it through Thanksgiving!!! Anyone have their Christmas tree up yet?? We most definitely do not but there are a ton of twinkling lights up all over our neighborhood already. Apparently we're behind the times. It's still technically not December yet though so I feel like we're doing just fine.
Before we jump into those yummy yule-tide Christmas recipes, let's finish out November first. I don't know about you but the Thanksgiving holiday has me bursting at the seams! Lighten up before December with a little winter greens citrus salad.
I absolutely love this salad. It's so refreshing and light! The perfect way to reset your diet/stomach after the heavy, albiet delicious foods of Thanksgiving and before the Christmas cookies of December.
This winter greens citrus salad is a balancing act of sweet and bitter, topped with a quick, homemade orange and red wine vinaigrette. The blood oranges, navel oranges, and grapefruit pair perfectly with the bitter winter greens like radicchio and endive. To round out the flavors, a mixture of seasonal baby greens are mixed in, like spinach, chard, and arugula.
Topped with freshly shaved parmesan, pomegranate seeds, and roughly chopped walnuts, you've got a nutritious, vegetarian, and gluten free winter greens citrus salad perfect for lunch, dinner, or an appetizer.
I literally ate this salad for three days straight. Mix a little of your favorite protein in and you've got a main dish!
Well, I guess we should be off to go look for a Christmas tree? (Seriously though, we went last year two whole weeks before the holiday and we had to go to THREE different lots. They were all sold out). I think we might wait until it's at least December. In the meantime, reset your diet with a light, refreshing winter greens citrus salad before the Christmas cookie extravaganza heads your way! Recipe below 👍🏻.Print
his quick and easy winter season salad is chock full of bright, flavorful orange and grapefruit mixed with bitter greens, baby spinach and a little shaved parmesan. Topped with a citrus red wine vinaigrette!
For the Salad
- 2 blood oranges
- 1 navel orange
- 1 grapefruit
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, shaved
- ¼ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 radicchio head, halved, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 endive head, sliced first lengthwise, then crosswise in ½-inch slices.
- 3-4 cups baby winter green mix (baby spinach, arugula, chard)
For the Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together all ingredients for the vinaigrette until completely combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Slice peels and pith (white layer) off of all the citrus fruits and thinly slice.
- Toss all ingredients for the salad together in a large bowl. Drizzle with half of the salad dressing. Serve and drizzle with remaining salad dressing as desired.