It’s been too long since I’ve featured a cocktail on this blog! A whole three weeks 😄. Let me introduce you to my new fave beverage the sage ginger blood orange fizz cocktail
First off, big thanks to my friend Rene for the sage ginger syrup recipe! She is also the genius behind the ultimate Halloween Halloween chocolate pumpkin cake and those AH-mazing, fall off the bone tender chocolate stout beef short ribs. Isn’t she the best??
A few weeks back we headed over to Rene’s for a summer afternoon round the fire pit and upon arrival discovered she had made not one, not two, but SIX different simple syrups (there could have been more I don’t even know) from scratch with all the fixings. There was a blueberry lavender, a vanilla cinnamon, some kind of cherry one, I can’t even remember! Like I said, she’s the best.
Anyhoo, I’ll give you three guesses as to which simple syrup was my favorite 😉. Sage ginger for the win! Rene also had an absolutely delicious blood orange soda as one of the mixers. Ergo, the sage ginger blood orange fizz cocktail was born.
I decided to mix that fabulous sage ginger syrup with the blood orange soda, a little vodka, and instead of the traditional club soda, topped it off with some Prosecco I had brought.
I was in heaven. I’m not a big vodka or gin person for that matter, so the fizz is not my go to beverage. This version though?? All about it! Honestly top anything with Prosecco and it’s going to be a zillion times better.
To clarify, I have also had this sage ginger blood orange fizz cocktail with gin as the base alcohol and it tastes just as good either way! So it’s totally up to you. You can also skip the Prosecco and use the classic club soda top off but where’s the fun in that 😎?? Now grab a cocktail shaker and enjoy!Print
A twist on the classic bubbly beverage with homemade sage ginger syrup and a Prosecco finish. Choose between a vodka fizz or a gin fizz depending on your taste!
For the Sage Ginger Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger
For the Fizz
- 1 teaspoon sage ginger simple syrup (more as desired for sweetness and flavor)
- 4–6 ounces blood orange soda
- 1 ounce your favorite vodka or gin (I like it either way!)
- Prosecco (or club soda)
- Fresh sage leaves for garnish
- Make the sage ginger simple syrup: In a small pot, heat sugar, water, sage, and ginger to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes, until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and let steep for 5 minutes. Strain the syrup to remove the sage and ginger. Chill until completely cooled.
- Pour vodka or gin and syrup into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a glass (over ice if desired).
- Pour blood orange soda into glass and finish with Prosecco as desired (I definitely used more than a splash!). You can also use the more traditional club soda variation instead of Prosecco for the added bubble finish.
- Add a few sage leaves for garnish. Enjoy!
I used Prosecco instead of club soda because it adds more flavor, more bubbles, and more fun!