So you may or may not remember, my family has a tradition that every Christmas morning we make huevos rancheros. But what about the rest of the year?? Well, now I’ve found an even easier way eat one of my fave breakfast dishes all year long: cheesy baked huevos rancheros casserole!
Previously, I’ve made a skillet baked huevos rancheros, which is a great way to make it quickly and easily: But what if I have even less time?? How about just layering up corn tortillas, salsa, beans, cheese, and eggs right in a casserole dish and throwing it in the oven?
Yes please 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻! Just one pot with no sautéing and the tortillas are cooked right in the dish. D-O-N-E.
Also, cheesy baked huevos rancheros casserole is actually on the healthy side! No butter, no oil, tons of protein and it’s gluten free! Sure there’s cheese but you can definitely lower the amount or nix it all together for a vegan option 👍🏻. Perfect for fitting into my fave dress again 😆.
Cheesy baked huevos rancheros casserole. Wins all round!!! Recipe coming right up.Print
30 minute healthier, vegetarian, Mexican inspired breakfast. Skip the cheese to make it vegan!
- 30 oz canned black beans, drained
- 3 cups medium, chunky red salsa (I used La Victoria)
- 3-4 cups Mexican cheese blend (depending on how cheesy you want it!)
- 6-8 large eggs
- 24 corn tortillas
- Fresh chopped cilantro, sliced green onion, chopped avocado for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Layer 8 tortillas on the bottom of the casserole dish. Spread one cup of salsa on top. Sprinkle evenly with half of the beans and a third of the cheese. Repeat with another layer.
- Top second layer with remaining tortillas. Spread with last cup of salsa and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Use a spoon to create 6-8 shallow holes (depending on how many eggs you'd like!) in the cheese and salsa topping for the eggs. Gently break one egg into each hole.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until egg whites are set (this can vary depending on your oven as eggs can be temperamental so if more time is needed, cook in 5 minute increments).
- Remove from heat and let cool for 2 minutes. Top with cilantro and green onion, and serve immediately.