The cast iron skillet. It’s been a life saver this flu season. You can make an entire weekend style breakfast, bacon included, in one pan. Ergo, skillet potato and egg hash all weekend every weekend.
Year before last I made a skillet sweet potato kale hash, and I’ve had a hankering for an “all year round” version for a while now. It just makes everything so easy!
You literally get everything in this skillet potato and egg hash, except for the side of toast (gotta have that, you know how I love toast). Potatoes, bell pepper, onion, bacon, and cheesy baked eggs. Again ALL in pan. Did I mention that’s my favorite thing ever?
The best part? Instead of a bunch of dishes, there’s only one pan to clean! Perfect for when you want to get your weekend day started ????.
Skillet potato and egg hash. Get some ????????.Print
- 8 strips raw bacon
- 1 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, diced into bite sized pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Extra virgin olive oil for extra drizzling
- Fresh cilantro roughly chopped, thinly sliced chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Place strips of bacon in a large (at least 10 inch), oven safe skillet. Cook over medium low heat on both sides until cooked through but not yet crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat to a paper towel lined plate and set aside, leaving the bacon grease in the pan. When the bacon is cool enough to handle, roughly dice.
- Increase the heat to medium high, add the potatoes, bell pepper, and onion and cook for 7- 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until starting to soften and can be pierced with a fork
- Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, paprika, black pepper, and salt. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until garlic is fragrant.
- Using a spoon, create 4 to 6 holes (depending on how many eggs you want) in the hash mixture for the eggs. Distribute the cheeses evenly into each hole, and then crack one egg into each hole.
- Place in the preheat oven and cook for 8-10 minutes, until egg white is set but the yolk is still runny.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cooked bacon. Garnish with fresh ground black pepper, cilantro and chives.