As I write this, it’s Sunday morning, and I’m storm watching. I keep peering out the window that looks out at the Sound and Bainbridge island watching a massive cloud front roll in, and it’s white. Snow is coming!
Granted not much, probably just a dusting, but it’s on its way! Honestly, it’ll probably be a lovely mixture of rain and snow but hey, I’ll take it! Storm watching on a Sunday…No better time to warm up with a bowl of Instant Pot chicken noodle soup.
So it’s been a week and a half I STILL can’t quite kick this flu. It’s hanging on as a nasty cough and it’s just awful. On the plus side, my husband is watching Blue Planet II in the living room and it literally fills my heart with joy (sports is usually the obvious go to). David Attenborough’s voice will always make any flu ridden day better.
Now about that Instant Pot chicken noodle soup. It’s also sure to make any flu ridden day better! Honestly, thank the lord of the Instant Pot. Set it and forget it, done in a fraction of the time! Perfect for when a nasty cold has you in a constant fog.
Instant Pot chicken noodle soup tastes like it’s been simmering on the stove all day as opposed to 25 minutes start to finish. Use the “sauté” option to soften up the veggies, add the rest of the ingredients sans noodles, press “soup”, set it for 10 minutes, seal and cook!
When it’s done and the pressure is released, just shred up the cooked chicken breasts, put the pot back on “sauté” and add the noodles. After about 5 minutes, add the chicken back in, turn the pot off, and you’ve got chicken noodle soup that tastes like grandma’s old recipe.
Seriously. Have I mentioned how much I love the Instant Pot?
Quick note: I prefer egg noodles in my chicken noodle soup. I have this weird thing where it always seems like the noodles are somehow “icky” to me. They get too soft, and then I just can’t even. Egg noodles keep their “al dente” and are my hardy noodle of choice, giving the soup a little more texture.
Well, that storm front has hit the bottom of our hill, so I gotta run. Gunna grab another bowl of Instant Pot chicken noodle soup and go catch some snow ????️❄! Perfect weather for it right??Print
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled, quarted and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, halved and sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2–3 tablespoons white wine or white wine vinegar
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 1/2 cups egg noodles
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra fresh thyme, fresh parsley to garnish
- Turn instant pot on sauté and add olive oil. Stir in carrots, onion, and celery and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Pour in lemon juice and white wine, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Press cancel on the instant pot to turn off the sauté. Pour in the chicken broth. Add the chicken breasts and fresh thyme. Press the “soup” option, and set the instant pot for 10 minutes. Secure the lid and turn the vent to sealing.
- Optional: When the soup option is done cooking, you can leave everything as if for another 10 minutes or so for everything to calm down before quick releasing the pot (the instant pot will depressurize on its own in 20 minutes). Otherwise, quick release the instant pot by turning the steam valve from seal to vent.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the soup and shred with two forks.
- Turn the instant pot back on sauté and add the egg noodles. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, until noodles are al dente.
- Press cancel on the instant pot to turn it off. Stir shredded chicken back into the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with any leftover fresh thyme or fresh parsley.