Thanksgiving is tomorrow!! Almost time to do all the eating and I for one am super excited. Having said that, I don’t know about you but I always have a TON of turkey left after Thanksgiving dinner. I only ever have a little slice. It’s more of an excuse to just smother something in cranberry sauce ????.
Well, I’ve had an amazing idea: top a veggie loaded green salad with said turkey smothered in cranberry sauce. Healthier AND uses up those Thanksgiving leftovers. Turkey cranberry salad for the win!!!
Now this is not to be confused with your standard mayonnaise turkey salad standard, which I also totally indulge in (see turkey cranberry brie panini for more details ????). This is a healthier way to use up both turkey and cranberry sauce by combining it with salad greens, sliced fennel, peeled carrot, toasted almonds, and (of course) some blue cheese.
Plus, no mayo here! Other than the obvious topping of cranberry sauce, I did toss the greens and veggies in a quick, homemade lemon balsamic vinaigrette. It pairs perfectly with the lemon herb dry-brined roasted turkey we make for Thanksgiving!
Do you have any favorites for your Thanksgiving feast? Let me know in the comments below! Bet you have no idea that mine is fresh cranberry sauce ????. Anyhoo, have a great holiday weekend and I'll see you next Wednesday!
For the Salad
- 4 cups mixed spring greens
- 2 carrots, peeled into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- ½ cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 medium fennel, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- Roasted turkey, shredded or sliced, as desired
- Cranberry sauce, as desired
For the Lemon Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of salt, pepper to taste
Make the Dressing
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
Assemble the salad
- Toss greens, fennel, carrots and half of blue cheese in dressing, reserving a couple tablespoons for drizzling.
- Top the salad with turkey and spoonfuls of cranberry sauce. Sprinkle with remaining blue cheese, and toasted almonds. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Enjoy!