Whew! It got tooooo hot for a minute there. Everyone here is rejoicing every morning as the bright sun greets us without a cloud in the sky starting at 5:30 AM...I'm sure you're aware by now that I'm most definitely not one of those people. I read recently that we havn't had any rain for a month now and to "keep our fingers cross for more good weather!" My response? ????????????. Shan't be crossing MY fingers I can tell you that. I enjoyed the blue skies and sun rays for about week and now I'm all done. Too bad it's only JULY!
Oh well. In the meantime, I've been coming up with some very simple, easy recipes to cool down a smidge. First up, get your ☀️☀️ day started right with an Iced Vanilla Latte with Homemade Syrup!
Do you buy an iced vanilla latte from your fave local coffee shop every morning on the way to work? How about you make this super easy, 5 ingredient recipe at home instead? Just 5 ingredients!
Let's start at the beginning. Brew up some coffee the night before and refrigerate until chilled or whip up some cold brewed coffee. Not sure how? Cold brew is pretty simple! Grind desired amount of coffee beans and add to corresponding amount of water that you usually use for your perfect cup of coffee. Let sit for 12 hours, allowing the coffee to infuse. Strain out the grounds and there you go! Cold brewed coffee.
Now about that homemade syrup. 3 ingredients guys: sugar, water, and vanilla extract. Did you guys know all those snazzy syrups are just simple syrup with added flavors? I had NO idea. So now I'm going to make ALL the syrups and never get store bought again. If any of you watch the barefoot contessa, I'd like to think Ina Garten would be proud of me ????.
Ok, third and final point: take the coffee and pour over ice. Add milk and vanilla syrup. Stir....DONE! Your own homemade, money saving iced vanilla latte. And isn't it delicious?? ????Print
For the Latte
- 1/2 cup strong, cold-brewed or chilled coffee
- 1 cup milk (I used skim milk)
- 2-3 tablespoons simple vanilla syrup, depending on desired sweetness
For the Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Make the Vanilla Syrup: In a small sauce pan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Continue to heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved and liquid has somewhat thickened, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely. Stir in vanilla extract. Transfer into a sealable container and keep in the fridge. Keeps about 1 month.
- Assemble the iced vanilla latte: Fill desired glass halfway with ice. Pour coffee, milk, and syrup over ice. Stir and enjoy!