Do you ever get a hankering for a MASSIVE salad? Like an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink kind of a salad? Well, it has begun. As the weather warms up, windows stay open all night, fans are at high speed all day and we speed towards summer, I just start desperately craving a full on "refrigerator" salad. SO much more than just greens and a couple toppings. Literally half the ingredients in your fridge kind of a salad.
So. Loaded Chopped Veggie Salad. Let's do this ????????.
Overloading a salad can get into dangerous territory. Before you know it, over half of your originally healthy bowl o' greens is now hidden underneath a mound of croutons, dried cranberries, , cheese cheese cheese, and drenched in over processed, unnecessarily sugared dressing amIright?
At least, that's what happens to me. So to avoid defeating the healthy purpose of the massive salad craving, I've jam-packed this Loaded Chopped Veggie Salad with ALL the produce. I literally just wandered the produce section after work grabbing all the fresh, delectable, shiny greens and veggies I could find. And OH MAN was it worth it!
This salad just screams summer. So. many. fresh. veggies. And so tasty! Lemme reel this in for you. We've got kale, romaine, mixed greens, raw broccoli florets, a quick grilled corn on the cob to really get that summer feel, heirloom tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, fresh shredded carrot, and a simple homemade balsamic vinaigrette, plus a hard boiled egg for some protein.
You may have noticed that I couldn't help myself. There is indeed some blue cheese sprinkled over the top of my Loaded Chopped Veggie Salad. I just need cheese in my life. And with such an awesomely healthy, vegetable laden salad, a little cheese is totally acceptable. Gotta live a little right ??????
Ok Yyu guys. Final thoughts: I LOVE this salad and I'm usually one of those "I'll just have a few kale leaves mixed in with my plate of croutons please" kinda people. Even Dan couldn't get enough! Finished his entire plate ????. So get ready for summer, load up your salad veggie plate, and dive on in!Print
For the Salad
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 1 sweet, yellow corn on the cob, husk removed
- 1 cup raw broccoli florets
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 4 ounces fresh blue cheese, crumbled
For the Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- Dash of salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Cook eggs: Bring a small pot of water to a low boil. Reduce to a simmer and add eggs. Simmer for 20 minutes. Remove eggs and run under cold water. Gently remove shells and place eggs in the fridge to cool. Once cooled, thinly slice and set aside.
- Grill corn: Preheat a cast iron grill pan at medium-high heat or an outdoor grill. Drizzle corn with a little olive oil and sprinkle it with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Using tongs, place on the heated grill. Cook each side until grill marks form and corn kernels are softened, about 10 minutes total. Drizzle with more olive oil if necessary. Remove from heat when done and let cool. Slice corn kernels off the cob and set aside.
- Make the vinaigrette: In a small mixing bowl, add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper and whisk vigorously until completely combined.
- Assemble the salad: In a large bowl, toss together greens, corn, broccoli, radishes, cucumber, carrot, and tomatoes. Pour dressing over the salad, and lightly toss. Top with blue cheese and serve.
If you're in a bit of rush, substitute 1 cup cooked corn kernels (frozen ones that have been thawed work well) for the grilled corn.