OK so I miiiiight have veered a smidge off course today from the “get healthy and fit” yearly January craze. But it’s still winter, and we’ve had actual below freezing temperatures ALL week here in Seattle. When I leave the house at 6:15 its been 25 degrees…Brrr ❄️????! Now I know some of you actually get real winters with negative temperatures and snow that sticks to the ground but this is intense for our coastal mild city! So it may be “healthy” season but I think you might be with me when I say it’s time for a seriously warm, creamy bowl o’ soup right now. Spicy Broccoli Cheddar Sausage Soup to the rescue!!
I’m actually headed up to Leavenworth soon, the Bavarian themed town in the Cascades, to do some snow shoeing for Dan’s birthday and finally had to buy some snow boots! The ice here has just been insane so I figured it was worth the investment. I’ll tell you one thing, we could definitely use some soup up there! Supposed to be in the low teens the whole time and will definitely be expecting snow. Although I’m bringing a large batch of my Slow Cooker Three Bean Chili, Spicy Broccoli Cheddar Sausage Soup would be GREAT up in those wintry mountains.
I’ve always liked the idea of a broccoli cheddar soup but I needed a little more substance to make it truly filling and worth the cheesy, creamy calories. A lot of people like to add some shredded chicken breast but I thought why not add some extra flavor? And how about add some heat?? ????☀️ It’s the middle of winter after all, let’s kick up the spice level a notch and get warm inside and out! So instead of basic broccoli, cheese, and maybe some chicken, this Spicy Broccoli Cheddar Sausage Soup has ground hot Italian sausage, shredded pepper jack cheese along with the cheddar, some spices added into that creamy base, and is topped with a sprinkling of chili pepper flakes!
Perfect for the chilly winter weather, take a break from the salads and smoothies (which are definitely coming up soon here on the blog so stay tuned!) and enjoy a nice, warm, comforting bowl of Spicy Broccoli Cheddar Sausage Soup sure to heat you up from the inside out!Print
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb ground hot italian sausage
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrot, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 cups broccoli florettes, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk (I used fat free)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt, pepper to taste
- In a large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Add the Italian sausage, onion and celery, and cook until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, until fragrant. Remove all ingredients from the pot and set aside in a warm place.
- Melt last 4 tablespoons of butter in the pot. Whisk in flour and cook over medium heat about 3 minutes, until thickened, to make your roux.
- While whisking, slowly pour in chicken broth. The roux will bubble up so make sure to pour slowly and continue whisking.
- Whisk in milk and simmer for about 10 minutes, whisking occasionally, allowing it to thicken.
- Add all of the previously cooked ingredients, carrots, broccoli, chili powder, paprika and cayenne to the pot. Simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until broccoli and carrots are tender.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cheeses until completely combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chili pepper flakes, extra cheese, and a sprinkle of paprika.