Happy New Year everyone ????????????!!! First off, I hope you had a fantastic New Year's Eve and wonderful first couple of days of 2017. I think nothing makes more sense than starting out the new year with a healthy breakfast! After all, it is the first and most important meal of the day so let's make it the first recipe of the year! In keeping with so many new year's resolutions for eating/being healthier, I did make this dish as nutritious and low fat as possible (for myself anyway. I'm not an egg whites only fan so yolks here we come!). Ergo, Healthy Tomato Avocado and Egg Breakfast Toast!
Dan and I actually managed to keep it quite low key this year for New Year's Eve. Avoided any driving around by having a few peeps over, played games till midnight and then ran outside to catch the fireworks over the space needle, when quite miraculously, it started snowing!!! This may sound cheesy but it was truely magical. That could have been the champagne but I'd like to think it was the moment when a bright, shiny, new year started ????????.
Alright anyway, Healthy Tomato Avocado and Egg Breakfast Toast. Right off, gotta say that I went for an over easy egg. I'm not a sunny side up fan and I prefer scrambled eggs separate from my toast. However, you can honestly make your egg whatever way you want! My actual favorite egg is a perfectly poached one as seen in Kale Basil Pesto Breakfast Toast but I went for convenience this time. Over easy eggs are a pretty sure fire way to get cooked, yet runny yolk in about 5 minutes. If sunny side up, scrambled, or poached is really your thing, absolutely go for it. I just like to mix it up every now and again ????.
To make this Healthy Tomato Avocado and Egg Breakfast Toast super duper healthy, I even used multi-grain wheat bread! Not going to lie, it hurt a little to pass up my fave pugliese bread for breakfast toast. I used it for my Fresh Fig Gorgonzola Bruschetta and the previously mentioned Kale Basil Pesto Breakfast Toast recipes. BUT to be honest, using a nice thick slice of artisan multi-grain tastes perfectly delectable. Especially when topped with crisp tomato, sliced avocado, a runny yoke over easy egg, and some fresh Roasted Salsa! Tasty and delicious ????????????????.
PS. Did I mention it takes just 10 minutes to make? Yup! Healthy Tomato Avocado and Egg Breakfast Toast in just 10 MINUTES! No better way to start of the new year!! Recipe coming up in 3...2...1...????????Print
- 2 slices whole wheat, multigrain artisan bread, sliced ¾ - 1 inch thick
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large heirloom tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 just ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Classic roasted tomato salsa, for garnish
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bread slices and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, making sure to evenly coat each side in the oil, until golden brown. Remove from heat. Place at least 2 slices of tomato and 3 to 4 slices of avocado on each piece and set aside.
- Grease the skillet again with spray, a little olive oil or 1 tablespoon butter (I used a standard canola spray) and heat over medium high heat.
- Add eggs one at a time to skillet and reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, until whites are set but not completely firm. Flip eggs over and cook until desired doneness, about 30 seconds to 1 minute, depending on the stove burner, for a runny yolk and set whites.
- Gently place eggs on top of tomato avocado toast. Top with a few spoonfuls of classic roasted tomato salsa, fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste.