Happy New Year’s Eve friends ????????!!! 2016 has been a crazy year and I for one am excited to usher in a new one. But before we jump ahead to 2017, what about new years resolutions?? Getting that new gym membership? Eating healthier? Or just cooking more at home in general? Well hopefully I can help you out with those last two! If not the former then definitely the latter :-). For right now, I have a recipe that might help you out tonight at your New Year’s Eve shindig or perhaps as a healthier alternative to your favorite onion dip. Let’s end this year with a Classic Roasted Tomato Salsa!
Real quick though about those New Year resolutions. I think for myself, I’ve decided to just be more involved in what’s going on around me this year. Actually, I’ve already gotten a jump on new years resolutions! I’ve decided to become a member of the Sierra Club, and find a couple more organizations to be a part of and help out whenever I can, particularly concerning wild life and the environment. The photos of polar bears standing on dirt instead of snow and staring at an arctic lake instead of an ice sheet are just killing me. I’m thinking the Nature Conservancy and then one more! Any thoughts or favorite organizations that you’re part of?? I’d love to hear more options that you wonderful people have joined so please let me know in the comments!
Alright so, back to this Classic Roasted Tomato Salsa recipe. Once you make this, you’ll never go back to that bottled stuff from the store! So fresh and flavorful, and SO easy! Also, ridiculously healthy to boot. No weird preservatives and pretty much as low fat as you can get! Fresh produce and some tasty spices are all it takes to whip up this easy dish.
This Classic Roasted Tomato Salsa could not be any easier. Roast off your veggies in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Dump into a food processor, add spices and some fresh cilantro (stems included – you don’t even have to pick off the leaves!) and press the ON button.
Boom. Fresh salsa your New Year’s Eve guests and your rockin’ 2017 be more healthy resolution!
PS Just for kicks, did anybody see the youtube video of 2016 as a horror film? I watched it this morning, and it’s hilarious ???? slash too true ????. In any case, I think it’s time to say goodbye to 2016 and welcome 2017 don’t you?? Alright then! Cheers and see you in the new year!Print
- 2 lbs roma tomatoes
- 1 medium white onion, quartered and halved
- 1 poblano chili, halved
- 1 jalapeño chili, halved (seeds removed for milder salsa if desired)
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 large handful cilantro (leaves and stems)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Prepare a baking sheet with foil.
- Place tomatoes, onion, chilis, and garlic cloves in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes until softened. Broil for 2 minutes until charred. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Peel garlic. Add all ingredients to a food processor. Pulse until thoroughly combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.