You guys. Before I even get started on this Crunchy Thai Chicken Salad with homemade peanut dressing (YUM), I just have to say...I'm going camping. FOR reals though (all friends that have seen me camp slash that are going to be on this trip are laughing at me as they read this post). This is apparently a very low key, easy peezy camping extravaganza, a couple peeps out on the beautiful pacific northwest coast, and I'm still ridiculous about it. It's going to be GORGEOUS while we're there, it's a beautiful location by the ocean and I'm all omggggg we have to hike a MILE to get to the site?!? Most people's response: Abby. It's a mile. And it's flat ground. Calm yourself.
Secret: I used to hike. ???? right?? I hiked ALL the hikes. My dad is an eagle scout and I was insanely busy child that needed constant entertainment all the way up to high school. I even camped. In fact, I camped ALL the time! We had a camper van up until middle school (it had the pop up top, it was awesome). And then I became an adult who discovered the phrase "Resort and Spa".
Seriously though. I can hike, I can car camp. I just usually have my car 50 feet from my tent site. But in any case, I'm excited. I can't wait to see the ocean, be on the beach. The REAL beach, not the Puget Sound beach, where there are actual waves crashing into sand. Just have to keep thinking about how amazing it's going to be and not about the lack of bathrooms. I even stress about the food involved until we're literally sitting down to eat it. How ridiculous is that? Too bad I can't bring my Crunchy Thai Chicken Salad! Because there is no meal less stressful than this one ☺️.
First off, to make the creamy thai peanut dressing, you add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. All set! Combine all the produce in a large bowl, top with chicken and dressing, garnish and done! Massive, filling, flavor packed salad in just 10 minutes. Like I said, no stress!
I particularly love this salad because it's so colorful. Full of veggies, you've got some of everything in here! I like to use savoy cabbage for my Crunchy Thai Chicken Salad. It has more flavor and is a little bit sweeter than regular cabbage. Of course you have to have the red cabbage for those slivers of purple. The radishes are rockin' it at the grocery store right now and have the right kind of taste for this salad so I threw them in for some extra color and flavor. A little shaved carrot, thinly sliced cucumber, and some fancy snow peas round out the veggies. I especially like those snow peas because of their satisfying crunch. You can skip those crispy wontons in favor of a healthier plate but I just love them WAY to much to skimp on them. Top with chicken for some protein, and creamy homemade thai peanut dressing. 10 minutes. Get it guys ????????.
PS. Wish me luck on my camping trip! It's going to be amazing, just have to get back into the swing of of nature ????✌????.
For the Salad
- 4 cups savoy cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, quarter and sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shaved or grated
- 4 radishes, ends removed and thinly sliced
- Handful of snow peas
- 1/2 lb cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 1/4 cup unsalted, roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup crispy wontons
- Cilantro leaves, lime wedges, and sesame seeds to garnish
For the Dressing - makes 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- Salt to taste
- Make the dressing: Blend all ingredients for the dressing together in a blender or food processor. Set aside.
- Assemble the salad: In a large bowl, toss cabbages together. Add cucumber, carrot, radishes, snow peas, and chicken. Toss to combine. Drizzle with the dressing. Top with peanuts, wontons, cilantro leaves, lime wedges and sesame seeds.