It's too hot to do anything. Let alone cook anything. Summer is here early friends. Which obviously means it's salad time because I'm not touching my oven until it goes below 85. This 95 degrees outside aka 8000 degrees inside situation? Unacceptable. But alas, I'm hungry. Let's fix that with a Strawberry Spinach Arugula Salad with feta cheese and homemade balsamic vinaigrette.
Basically let's expend as little energy as possible to avoid heat stroke but eat a delightful meal at the same time. Nothing is easier than a fruity and green salad with a basic vinaigrette drizzled on top. Or as refreshing in this heat (excluding smoothies and ice cream obviously).
This Strawberry Spinach Arugula Salad is pretty much exactly as it sounds. Baby spinach and arugula topped with sliced strawberries, red onion, a green apple and some creamy yet tangy feta with freshly toasted almonds on top. When I do feta for a salad, I like to buy a brick of it, or a "chunk" as the packaging calls it. The feta cheese chunk is much more moist and creamy than pre-crumbled feta. It also gives your salad a little more texture by having cut cubes and crumbles sprinkled over your salad.
Aaaaaand that's about all the energy I have today. I swear heat just drains energy like no other. You'd think I'd have more of a tolerance growing up in California and Florida, but it seems I was meant for clouds, rain, and nothing above 75. It's only the second week of June and I can't even handle it. If it keeps up like this, I'll bet this Strawberry Spinach Arugula Salad is going to be a staple for more people than just me this summer!Print
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 16 ounces fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 4 ounces feta cheese, cut into cubes and/or crumbles
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- Dash of salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Make the dressing: In a small mixing bowl, add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper and whisk vigorously until completely combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss greens, strawberries, apple, and red onion together. Pour about half of the dressing over the salad mixture and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle almonds and feta on top and drizzle with the rest of the dressing. Serve immediately.